I was on the hunt for a Pad Thai recipe that didn’t include fish sauce, since I don’t keep this on hand often. After playing around a couple times and trying different variations, I came up with a sauce that includes 5 ingredients that are in everyone’s pantry. This Veggie Pad Thai recipe is easy, perfect for dinner, and will have your guests thinking you ordered from a Thai restaurant!
Veggie Pad Thai
- 6 Tbsp Lime juice, fresh (juice of 2-3 limes) + 4 wedges
- 3 Tbsp Peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp Soy sauce (tamari if vegan)
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 3 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 8 oz Pad Thai noodles
- 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Crushed peanuts (garnish)
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 3 Green onion, diced
- 1/4 C Bean sprouts
- 1/2 C Purple or green cabbage
- 4 Large eggs (1 per person)
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Boil water for noodles (prepare per instructions on package)
- While noodles are cooking, combine ingredients for sauce (lime, PB, soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha) set aside
- Once noodles are cooked, drain
- Chop veggies
- Heat sesame oil in wok on medium/high heat
- Saute veggies for 5 min or until tender, yet crunchy
- Make a spot in wok for eggs, add beaten eggs and scramble, incorporating into veggies
- Add noodles and sauce and toss for a few min until everything is incorporated
- Top with crushed peanuts, a lime wedge, and serve. Enjoy!
I used whatever veggies I had on hand which included snap peas, broccoli, and zucchini. I didn’t have crushed peanuts so I toasted up some sesame seeds and added those. The sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, without an overwhelming peanut butter flavor. I love this recipe because it’s so versatile. Easily make it vegan by omitting the egg and using tamari in place of soy sauce. Add your favorite veggies and even protein if that’s your jam. Try it out and don’t forget to tag @thebitetonight in your posts!
Tip: Add the sauce slowly, tossing as you go along. I tend to like my Pad Thai on the saucier side, but if you don’t add a little bit at a time until the desired sauce level is achieved.