I am switching things up a bit and featuring an easy vegan recipe for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas. My Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas are a quick, easy, and healthy meal great for lunch, dinner, or on the go. They reheat well and involve minimal effort. Turns out that sweet potato and black beans also go great together.
What You’ll Need
- 2 large tortillas
- 1 can of black beans (you can buy dry beans, but you’ll need to soak them for hours)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2-1 cup of your favorite vegan cheese (optional). I like the brand: Follow Your heart
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (packaged or make your own using chili pepper, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, salt)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Drain black beans and rinse (if using canned). If using dry beans, prep per the directions on the package. Heat in a sauce pan for about 5 min until warmed through. Sprinkle on taco seasoning and add 2 tbsp water. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Dice sweet potato in bite sized pieces and saute until soft and browned. Set aside.
Tip: To cut down on potato cook time, pierce with a fork and pop in the microwave for 2 min. Wait until it cools enough to handle and dice, then saute until browned.
- Build your Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadilla! In a large saucepan, add 1 tbsp olive oil (or your favorite oil. Avocado oil is great, too). Place one tortilla down and add a little bit of the vegan cheese. I used a mozzarella cheese I found at Fresh Thyme which was pretty good. The cheese will act as a glue and keep both of the tortillas together. You can leave out the cheese if you’re not into it. In an even layer, spread equal parts of the black beans and sweet potato. Top with the remaining cheese and add another tortilla. You can also add sauteed bell peppers and onions.
- Cover with a lid (to melt the cheese) and brown on each side on low to medium heat).
Secret: This recipe for my Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadilla is extremely versatile. You can also use it to make Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos, Burritos, or Taquitos.
I love this easy Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean recipe so much, that I’ve made it multiple times over the past few days. Also, because I had leftover ingredients that I didn’t want to go to waste. But it is so easy and delicious! Test it out and tell me what you think. Bon Appetit!